Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
CP-23's / Re: Video to help sell your 23 someday
« Last post by Bob23 on Today at 03:35:05 AM »
Chim:
 I thought my sails were fine, too until I took them to the local sailmaker who snickered saying, "These sails haven't been good in a long time". They weren't being snotty or critical, just honest. They weren't torn but not crispy either. Fast forward to the new custom made sails and she pointed higher, was faster and some of the weather helm was gone.
 The foiled rudder made a lot if difference but this past season was the first use of the altered rudder position. Basically, I cut the top of the rudder blade allowing it to tilt forward out of plumb and that along with the foiled blade, removed all the weather helm. I didn't cut much off and I have photos but am too lazy to relearn how to post 'em here.
  The new rudder blade is a wood foiled shape built around the original aluminum blade. There were photos on my "Koinonia" thread but alas, photobucket treachery has removed them! The biggest problem is tilting forward too much and resulting in a neutral helm which at best, is quite uncomfortable as the boat tends to wander and constant attention is needed to keep her going straight. At worst, it's dangerous as the boat would not longer round up when the tiller is let go.
Bob23
« Last post by Potcake boy on Yesterday at 11:15:19 PM »
Actually a new main would probably ease most of your weather helm and help keep the boat flatter. A tired sail has bad behavior, like not permitting de-powering when needed inducing too much heel which is one cause of weather helm and reduces your speed and increases your leeway. A fresh loose footed main and some sort of traveler arrangement will do wonders for your boat, the easiest way to get some control of your sail shape. Good sail shape not only makes your boat faster, but more enjoyable to sail as well. The foil rudders are also an improvement as they retain laminar flow much better and don't stall so easily when you do experience excessive weather helm. They also turn quicker when tacking. I understand that many sail boat owners believe that burying the leeward rail is exciting and fast, but the contrary is true. The flatter the better, it's actually faster and more comfortable.

There has been a good deal of information on sail shape and trim for our boats on this forum.
Eclipse / Re: Eclipse on Charlotte Harbor
« Last post by Vectordirector on Yesterday at 10:19:48 PM »
Hi Chris,

That was probably me on Sunday.  We (my 85 year young sailing buddy Arthur and I) came out of my canal into the river around noon and headed northwest and then back over toward Fisherman's Village.  Then back across and back in around 2.  Great couple of hours out there although we were on the edge of needing to reef the main as the wind picked up. We decided to come in and watch football.   Arthur is sharp as a tack but he doesn't move around well so we don't push it too hard.  He loves being on the water and he loves how easy the boat is to sail. 

Stay Warm,

Vectordirector aka

Bryan
« Last post by Christopher on Yesterday at 09:33:03 PM »
Al,
Were you sailing near Fishermans Village last Sunday afternoon?  My wife and I were watching a sailboat on the south side of the Village.  It looked like it was an Eclipse the best I could tell.  Unfortunately Monday morning we flew back to Ohio.  Happy Thanksgiving!
Chris  (Second Wind)
« Last post by Meander on Yesterday at 08:36:52 PM »
we have several launching ramp options and a good marina in Bokeelia.  We should try to get together to make 2018 another eclipse year.
« Last post by chimerakc on Yesterday at 08:20:14 PM »
Well I wish I was a carpenter. I would love to get rid of all the weather helm at higher winds.   
The forestay is as tight as it can go.  Would getting a new shorter one help?    I think I just have too much weight in the stern with two batteries, a 8 horse motor and all the gear for power tilt.    I have tried adding weights up in the anchor locker, didnt seem to help.

And this is with the original main sail - which at least looks like its holding its shape - but I figure a new one would just add to weather helm? 

Thanks
Com-Pac Sailors Lounge / Re: Fall weather in Maine
« Last post by Jasmid53 on Yesterday at 06:10:02 PM »
Thanks for that comprehensive reply. I am going to join the JRA. Your mention of the Bolger boat brought back some memories of the Bolger boat I built. It was the crab skiff for Payson's Instant Boats. I was proud of the finished boat and had some good times on her. I sailed in the waters of Ipswich MA and Essex MA. One of the most beautiful places in the world. Not just saying that 'cause that's where I grew up.

Problem with the skiff was the sailing rig. There was no way to reef it. Or at least that's what I thought at the time. Wish I still had her. I'm the type of guy that likes to change things around trying to improve something. Well I was in the middle of some improvement to the boat when I bought my first house. Twelve years latter the boat was not worth fixing up. If I had her today I would be experimenting with a small junk rig for her.

I'll see you then at the next junket. I'm in Rhode Island. If I still have my 16 I'll try to bring her. My car is too small to tow the 19.
« Last post by Bob23 on Yesterday at 05:16:12 PM »
Jib is the power sail. The wood foiled rudder I made for my 23  made a world of difference and combined with tilting the blade more forward than factory, I have eliminated all weather helm. This summer, she was the fastest ever.
CP-23's / Re: Port Lights
« Last post by Potcake boy on Yesterday at 12:44:31 PM »
Are you referring to the forward cabin trunk? The Suncat has one in that location. The curvature may limit what kind and how big you may be able to use. Most opening ports don't like curved surfaces. You'd have better luck with fixed ports if you just need more light below.
CP-23's / Re: Port Lights
« Last post by brackish on Yesterday at 12:32:56 PM »
forward bulkhead?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10