Author Topic: Towing Question  (Read 127 times)

Offline DanM

• Deck Hand
Towing Question
« on: April 23, 2017, 09:52:32 PM »
I'm curious hear what SunCat owners do with their motor when towing (I have a 5 hp Honda). Is it considered OK to tow the boat with the motor mounted on the bracket? The previous owner did that, (with a ratchet strap from the stern cleats, or maybe the lowest point of the two gallows supports,  to take some off the weight and road shock.) Does Hutchins have a position or recommendation on this?

Offline Gerry

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
Re: Towing Question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 09:01:53 AM »
I always tow my motor on its bracket.  In fact, it is locked to the bracket so it never comes off.

WYATTC: CP-16; 1981

Offline Tom L.

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »
I towed my S.C. with a 5hp Nissan always on the bracket. I did use a piece of line around the lower part of the gallows using a truckers hitch to snub it up tight an eliminate the bouncing around and subsequent shock.  I also added large backing plates to the motor mount inside the transom. The plates aren't really necessary but I had the horn off to repair the rudder mount so adding back up plates to the motor mount was easy.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Offline Catawampus

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »
I have the 4hp 4 cycle Yamaha. I leave the outboard on the bracket, raise the bracket to its highest position, and then run a dock line from one stern docking cleat, around the motor, to the other stern cleat, with as much tension as I can give it to reduce bounce. So far, so good. Fingers crossed for the future. I've only taken her on the road like this four times, about a hundred miles each time. She normally rests on her trailer at our sail club just a few hundred yards from the launch ramp. I don't tie the outboard up when launching at the club.
Steve
Officer in charge of laundry and morale
Catawampus - 2002 Sun Cat