Author Topic: Packing for a longer cruise  (Read 5834 times)

Offline HeaveToo

• Commodore
Re: Packing for a longer cruise
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2015, 09:35:15 PM »
ah....that is right.  You may have to move the battery location if you want to upgrade your house bank.  You could always move to Group 27 batteries and wire them in parallel. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Offline tmw

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2016, 01:53:30 PM »
Are there guidelines for how much water per person per day to pack for a multi-day cruise?  I'm liking the Coast Guard app which lists both required and recommended equipment, although it can be very general, e.g. in the recommended equipment it lists "Food and Water" without any details.  It did help me list items I likely would have overlooked, like binoculars.

Offline NateD

• Commodore
    • Plus Ultra
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2016, 02:23:35 PM »
Are there guidelines for how much water per person per day to pack for a multi-day cruise?  I'm liking the Coast Guard app which lists both required and recommended equipment, although it can be very general, e.g. in the recommended equipment it lists "Food and Water" without any details.  It did help me list items I likely would have overlooked, like binoculars.

Rule-of-thumb I've seen is 1 gallon per person per day for consumption and cooking. Personally I think my consumption runs closer to 0.5 gallons/day or less with a couple cans of pop/beer thrown in. If you have the room and can handle the weight, 1 gallon/day per person is a generally safe bet. Also, I generally cruise during cooler months, so not sweating much.

Offline HeaveToo

• Commodore
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2016, 07:16:12 PM »
I cruise in an area where I can get water.  Usually every few days I need fuel so I get water then too.

I carry bottled water, lots of it.  My water tank is for cleaning dishes and cleaning me.  I also carry a few gallons in jugs for cooking so that it doesn't have that lovely water tank taste, smell, or funk. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Offline Bob23

• I'm a mean and selfish curmudgeon! - Bob23
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • All men die; few men really live.
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2016, 02:28:25 AM »
That rule of thumb wouldn't work for me in the NJ summer heat. I easily drink 4 to 5 quarts of water daily by myself. Not to mention cooking and cleaning.
Bob23... the hydrated.

Offline Tim Gardner

• 1985 CP19/II # 323 "Andiamo!"
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • NSA: This is not the 'droid you're looking for
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2016, 05:06:59 AM »
Isn't that a constellation?
"The sea is selective, slow at recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast in sinking the unfit"  - Adm Felix Riesenberg.

Offline tmw

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2016, 09:55:02 AM »
Which one is Bob23?

Offline tmw

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2016, 09:57:31 AM »
With a little more research, I found Bob, Agent of Hydra: