Author Topic: Horn Install  (Read 108 times)

Offline slode

• Deck Hand
Horn Install
« on: January 09, 2018, 04:22:12 PM »
My next project to get Sylvia ready for spring is to pick out a horn and install it if necessary.  Many waters I plan to sail require some horn on board.  I've never been a fan of the portable safety horns carried by many small craft owners.  And I think it would be cool to have a big loud horn to scare the crap out of power boaters who aren't paying attention. But maybe I could be persuaded.

Have any of you installed a permanent horn on your Eclipse and have any recommendations for equipment and installation position for the horn and switch.  Or a good reason to not bother with it and just go with a portable unit.

Offline TedStrat

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
Re: Horn Install
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:26:10 PM »
I'm definitely thinking the same....the portable horns always seem to hide from me and once when I was down below looking for something I leaned on it and pretty near blew my eardrums out!
On a serious note, Jamestown Distributors has some I had looked at. Definitely should not be the trumpet kind since just another thing to catch a line on. They have some flush mounted ones with built-in pump for air. I'm a bit queasy about cutting a hole anyware though so I haven't decided yet.
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

Offline slode

• Deck Hand
Re: Horn Install
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 10:48:20 AM »
I believe I found the perfect horn.

https://www.amazon.com/SeaSense-50031902-12-Volt-Horn/dp/B0019LY8DY/ref=lp_3399081_1_15?s=boating-water-sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1515681903&sr=1-15

Will mount right under the bow navigation light and run wire through the bow pulpit right along with the navigation light wiring.  No drilling, out of the way, and should look pretty nice.  I may have to make a bracket, or hopefully be able to bend the included bracket to mount on the same pad the light is attached to.   I have a push button switch in my box of electrical stuff I plan on putting right next to the bilge pump handle door, nice and close to other wiring.  And I may wire one in parallel inside the cabin for use in case of getting stuck in fog on the big lakes.

I'll post pics of the installation when done in a couple weeks.