Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
Com-Pac Sailors Lounge / Re: Glad to be here.
« Last post by Mas on Yesterday at 10:58:51 PM »
     A friend of mine, and damn fine sailor, told me about this little cult you all have here. So glad to have a home. I look forward to learing all about the adventures had in this fantastic little boats. First time com-pac 16 owner 1981. So far it is the best sailboat i have ever owned or sailed. Thanks again for having me.

Truly this is a cult and a mighty fine one at that. The folks here are the best as is your boat. We learned to sail on one and now have another, truly the boat that started all of this.

Welcome indeed!
Com-Pac Sailors Lounge / Re: Downhaul for rudder?
« Last post by Bob23 on Yesterday at 09:31:49 PM »
HJ:
 I fabricated a downhaul that worked fine on the stock rudder blade which did not float. I cut a groove in a piece of 5/8" marine ply and sandwiched it between the transom and the gudgeon, which of course needed to be removed. In groove ran a length of 1/4" like down to the front of the blade. At the top end, I drilled a hole through the stern and epoxied in a short length of PVC pipe, cut flush with the inside. This worked great but when I built my wood sheathed foiled rudder which floated, it didn't work so well. I now use the factory stainless steel hold down bracket in conjunction with the downhaul.
 There are photos here somewhere but buried I suppose. You could try a search for foiled rudder blades. Hope this helps.
Bob23
« Last post by tmw on Yesterday at 09:19:15 PM »
I first learned to sail on Kentucky Lake, at Roy C. Manchester Boy Scout camp.  Many fond memories of Kentucky Lake.

Now I wish I could sail as much as I can visit this site.
Com-Pac Sailors Lounge / Downhaul for rudder?
« Last post by HJ51 on Yesterday at 07:23:58 PM »
There's got to be an easier way to return the rudder on a Com-Pac 23 to its position for sailing.  I've got block and line for retracting it, but have to lean way over the transom to reach down and get it set back in the full vertical position in the water.   

Any devices or suggestions for addressing this?  I've considered a downhaul line like the one that's used to retract it but seems forced and complicated and might interfere with the benefits of a foiled rudder if attached to the forward side of the rudder.  Also thought about a rod or dowel in place of the retraction line so that I can push in addition to pull.   

Let me know if you've got any ideas!
Com-Pac Sailors Lounge / Re: Rename the boat in light of recent events?
« Last post by Bob23 on Yesterday at 06:32:03 PM »
I hereby make a motion that we all discuss the renaming of Mac's boat at CLR 2017 after a healthy dose of Tequila!! What say ye, merry sailors?
« Last post by Bob23 on Yesterday at 06:30:20 PM »
Welcome Kentucky Lake!! You sound like a nice guy so because I'm also a nice guy (my opinion) I'm gonna waive the normal $5000.00 membership fee if you tell us your actual name!!! Welcome aboard!!!
Bob23 and "Koinonia:, 1985 23/2 located on the coast of the best state in the nation, NJ!!!
« Last post by Sunapee Sailing on Yesterday at 05:39:24 PM »
Welcome !!!!
Com-Pac Sailors Lounge / Re: My first Compac
« Last post by Sailboy98 on Yesterday at 04:48:10 PM »
Yes I am right around the corner from the factory, and I look forward to hearing from everyone.
Group Outings and Com-pac Events / Re: clr head count
« Last post by ddg23 on Yesterday at 02:17:30 PM »
Extra large for me too.  Put me down for one.
Dan
« Last post by Vipersdad on Yesterday at 01:58:52 PM »
     A friend of mine, and damn fine sailor, told me about this little cult you all have here. So glad to have a home. I look forward to learing all about the adventures had in this fantastic little boats. First time com-pac 16 owner 1981. So far it is the best sailboat i have ever owned or sailed. Thanks again for having me.

Get in touch with Salty19, our Fleet Admiral, he can set up your payment schedule for your initiation fees.

Pictures would be great.

I have always wanted to get down to Kentucky Lake.  It is a reasonable distance from where I am in Wisconsin.

V.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10