Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10
The "How to DIY" Forum / Re: What to do
« Last post by crazycarl on Today at 05:30:21 PM »
I was gonna suggest PBR but why waste good beer? How about Goof Off? And I don't mean you can goof off, something you're quite accustomed to doing already, but the Goof Off you buy at Home Cheapo?
Bob23

WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!!

congratulations bobert, you gave the winning solution...GOOF OFF!  it worked, and it was sooo easy.

because of your knowledge of how to goof off and be productive about it, i, crazy carl, will buy you a twelve pack of your favorite beer.....PBR! 

yup! you heard me right roberto! 

i will go into a liguor store of my choosing (preferably one far, far from my home) and purchase for you, the king of new jersey, a twelve pack of PBR!

it will be cold and waiting for you at CLR. 

thanks to everyone for their help with this crisis. 

now, i can move on to other important boat tasks....let's see, where did i store that mast 3 years ago....?
Group Outings and Com-pac Events / Re: BARNEGAT BAY BASH #11
« Last post by Bob23 on Today at 02:33:49 PM »
Yes, there is a ramp. I think it's free for us Compac-o-nauts that weekend but I'll check fer sure!
« Last post by Mas on Today at 01:32:38 PM »
Must admit, did assume there is a ramp where everyone is keeping their boats? One that could be used by visitors? There is no way Imma gunna sail a CP16 25 miles just to get there. Heck they point into the wind just fine on a trailer!
when i bought the  Saturn, i also bought a Uniden waterproof MHS126 radio.
i attach it to my life jacket so i have it in case i am threw overboard.
i listen to the emergencies channels and to the noaa weather channel.

But if i have to to do it again , i would by the one with the gps.

Pascal
Com-Pac Sailors Lounge / Re: Request for Bucket List Info
« Last post by Catawampus on Yesterday at 11:54:39 PM »
I will also make some restaurant suggestions:
Lunch: Hudson's Smokehouse, 4952 Sunset Blvd, Lexington, SC 29072
Dinner: Hunter-Gatherer, 900 Main Street, Columbia, SC 29201
Upscale dinner if you want to really celebrate:
Motor Supply Company Bistro, 920 Gervais Street, Columbia, SC 29201
(803) 256-6687
Com-Pac Sailors Lounge / Re: Request for Bucket List Info
« Last post by Catawampus on Yesterday at 11:40:58 PM »
I wish you two the very best of adventures. Those wishes are from another old hippie, me.
I also envy your meteor crater adventure. A visit there is on my bucket list.
Eclipse / Re: Weather Reports Offshore
« Last post by Vectordirector on Yesterday at 11:38:12 PM »
Don't think many Eclipse owners use the boats that far out, but I could be wrong.  You may try asking in the general forum where some of the bigger boat owners hang out.  I can offer this:

My power cat came with a Furuno Nx-300 weather fax   http://www.furuno.com/en/products/navtex/NX-300  They run about $500+ new. 

I haven't tried it as I stay inshore within cell phone range.  I assume it works as the surveyor had it working when I bought the boat.   It hooks up to a mushroom antenna on the hardtop and a power cord that splits to NEMA0183 to feed a GPS.  The mount is bolted to my port console.  I'd prefer to leave these mounts on the boat as I'd have to fill some holes if I removed them. 

As I said I don't use it or need it but if you want it and could get the needed cabling, antenna and mount, I would be glad to send it your way if you want to pay for the shipping.  Let me know if you are interested.  If so I can go to the boat and see if I can get it to work and send you a picture.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have but I haven't even plugged it in, and it is pretty old, but it may be all you need.  The next step up would be radar but that is just crazy on an Eclipse. 
Unless you need it.   Not even sure if you could get one on there anywhere and they are expensive, heavy, and power hungry.  Ask some of the local fishermen what they use.  The wealthy ones. 

Weather is always an issue when boating.  I am a NWS/FAA certified weather observer including Doppler Radar.  Part of my training as an air traffic controller.  It comes in very handy when out on the water inshore. 

Storms pop up quickly in the summer and can ruin your whole day.  I can usually see them a long way away as I'm constantly scanning the cloud formations and I stay close to home in the summer.  It usually takes a storm at least 20 minutes to build up which should be enough time to figure out a plan to avoid it or batten down and ride it out.  These summer pop ups are usually pretty small and fairly easy to avoid if you see it soon enough or blow over fairly quickly unless you get blown downwind with it.  The worst ones are the ones that pop up right on top of you but that rarely happens.  Normally they will build over the land due to convection and then start moving further inshore.  Happened today as I was out sailing in northern Charlotte Harbor.  Not always like that though.  The trick is figuring out which way they are moving  early enough to steer away from one early enough to avoid it.  I can see this on my cell phone radar app and have done this a few times in both my sail boat and my cat.  This is the information you will need however you choose to receive it.  I like to keep my boat simple but you will need something for sure for what you want to do.  It will likely be expensive. 

One other thing to keep in mind.  30 years as an ATC taught me that weather forecasts are not often correct.  The further away in the future the worse they are.  They have improved a lot but the best you can hope for is 48 hours in the southern part of the us.  Especially in the summer.  The atmosphere is just too unstable during rainy season and they only get it right about half the time for anything further out than 48 hours.  Keep that in mind when you are off shore.  Marine forecasts come out every 6 hours.  4 times a day.  Keep that in mind as well.  You may want to take a marine weather class if you need some training on cloud formations and other basic weather observation including how to use a doppler radar you can access on the internet.  It really takes the worry out of it if you find it an issue.  I've been here for 3 years and have not got caught in a storm.  I don't push it when it comes to the weather because I have no need to.  It makes the decision easy to make. 

Be Safe, Fair winds,

Vectordirector 

« Last post by jdklaser on Yesterday at 10:18:38 PM »
hardline Products makes a product called Sticker OFF.  Good stuff.  Available at West Marine
« Last post by MacGyver on Yesterday at 09:03:33 PM »
xylene might work too, it is acetone brother only its evap rate is a lot longer of a time frame. usually about 3 times as long.

MAc
« Last post by Bob23 on Yesterday at 08:38:44 PM »
Why don't you trailer up?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 10