Author Topic: # of adults?  (Read 860 times)

Offline kickingbug1

• Commodore
  • CLR sailor
Re: # of adults?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »
 two, unless they are really, really small
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Offline Citroen/Dave

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
Mas,

I made that run in a 16 foot fiberglass canoe with two adults and one teenager.  While the boat had positive flotation, it was not self rescuing.  I checked out and back in with the Coast Gard at Ocracoke.    The largest misquotes I have ever seen.  One of the best days of sailing I ever had. 

Dave
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:00:40 PM by Citroen/Dave »
"You can't judge a skipper by the size of his dingy."
'85 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Offline Mas

• Commodore
  • The big thing is to just do it!
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 05:20:50 PM »
Mas,

I made that run in a 16 foot fiberglass canoe with two adults and one teenager.  While the boat had positive flotation, it was not self rescuing.  I checked out and back in with the Coast Gard at Ocracoke.    The largest misquotes I have ever seen.  One of the best days of sailing I ever had. 

Dave

Yup ditto on boh bugs and sailing! We took our 16 almost around to the ocean side of the inlet so as to avoid the bugs and kept letting out rode as the tide changed. Pretty impressive currents there.

You gunna make it to CBMWG 3.0 this year? Check out the cruising grounds there for a summer trip.
S/V  'Mas'  87' CP16/2
S/V  'Interlude' 89' PSC31

Offline MGS

• Grinder
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 08:52:38 AM »
What about the cabin, can 2 adults fit comfortably?  I'm torn between the 16 & 19.  If I knew my wife & I would be comfortable in the 16 cabin I'd have a decision.  I'm 6'4" and she's 5'8" and were both thin.  I'm not sure my size 12 feet would fit under the quarter berth.  I'm planning on doing weekend and some week long cruising on the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding coastal areas.  Any thoughts?
MacGregor 26, Montgomery 15, Mutineer 14, Ellen 12

Offline kickingbug1

• Commodore
  • CLR sailor
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 04:51:17 PM »
   I'm 6'5" and have slept (if you can call it that) on a 16. wouldn't do it again. that's why I bought a catalina 18. a cp 19 has far more room than a 16 and is a better sailor. it might take a little more time to rig but I think its worth it. always want to keep your lady happy. off and on I have succeeded in that for over 41 years
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Offline Mas

• Commodore
  • The big thing is to just do it!
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 06:47:29 PM »
   I'm 6'5" and have slept (if you can call it that) on a 16. wouldn't do it again. that's why I bought a catalina 18. a cp 19 has far more room than a 16 and is a better sailor. it might take a little more time to rig but I think its worth it. always want to keep your lady happy. off and on I have succeeded in that for over 41 years

Hey Kick, I would say a different sail. the 16 sails like the 23, whereas the 19 is a more upright sail. Different hull designs.
The 16 and 23 are the same hull design. I have never been out on a 19 in heavy weather so can't speak to their qualities but both the 16 & 23 handle weather pretty well and don't pound but they will hobby horse. Heck most small boats will hobby horse some.

MGS, the berths on the 16 are useful as foul weather weekending but are not where we spent most of our time sleeping. We either beached her and slept ashore or we had a small platform that could fill the area of the footwell in the cockpit and we slept there. Queen sized and almost 7 feet long! If you wish to trailer often then i believe you will find he 16 much easier to trailer, rig and launch.
S/V  'Mas'  87' CP16/2
S/V  'Interlude' 89' PSC31

Offline Salty19

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 07:30:39 PM »
Mas--I think what Kick is trying to say is the 19's point significantly better than the 16's and are vastly more stable and comfortable to sail. They also are much quicker given the same captain skills.    Also the interior cabin room is night and day.  Two people in a 16 is TIGHT and UNCOMFORTABLE.  The berths are like coffins.   Two in a 19 is doable.  The interior volume of a 19 is about DOUBLE the volume of a 16. 

I think the big issue is the 19's are a lot more work to rig if you're a trailer sailor.  I for one would not want to rig it each time, it would deter me from going sailing, but the 16 would not deter me. However I don't enjoy this process and perhaps you may not think rigging it is a big deal.   But if one will primarily go out for an overnight or longer, the extra rigging time is less of an issue, and with some creative rigging (ie quick disconnect blocks on boom, short battens, mast raising system) wouldn't be an issue.

We have raced these boats quite a bit at the CLR.  With the exception of Matt in his 16, who is practically a professional racer, the 19's will outsail a 16 every time.  I recall one year in a tough upwind race when I beat a 23 in my 19 (barely, but it counted) and all the 19's placed ahead of other boatsm including an Eclipse.  There was a 45 minute difference between them over about 4.5 miles. The 16's could not point as high and had to tack many more times to make the same distance over ground.

I love the 16's--they are great little boats and will own one again to trailer someday, but the 19's really outperform them and offer so much more space. 

MGS--I would say that two adults will NOT fit comfortably in a 16.  The bunks are coffin-like, the beam is narrow, the roof low and very little room for you both and your gear.   With that said, people have crossed oceans in smaller boats--it's all about your tolerance level I guess.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 07:37:50 PM by Salty19 »
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Offline Ken J

• Deck Hand
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 11:47:55 PM »
I'm 6'2" and have slept comfortably in my 16 with a 3/4 trermarest mattress - yes it is like sleeping in a pup tent cozy - but I slept pretty well

Ken J

Offline Duckie

• Helmsman
« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:01:53 AM »
Last summer I went on a 5 day trip to the north channel with a buddy of mine and stayed aboard my 16 the whole time.  Sleeping aboard wasn't great but that was not the boat's fault.  Read that as two old guys who have to get up during the night multiple times.  I am not a small guy and the berths in the 16 are fine for me.  I sleep with my head on the shelf in the front of the cabin using a minimal size pillow.  I cannot sit upright in the cabin, but my friend could.  I doubt that I will ever sleep in the cockpit because I would be devoured.  I can lift the cockpit grate up to make the cockpit a sleeping platform, but unless there is snow in the air, I won't do that. 

My 16 came with a pair of rubber plugs for the scuppers.  I haven't needed them.  However I have only sailed with one other person, and the water in the cockpit was limited to the rear of the footwell. 

Al

Offline MGS

• Grinder
« Reply #24 on: Today at 08:36:07 AM »
How much time does it take to rig the 19?  I have historically been a trailer sailor, but intend to use the boat for overnight & extended sailing.  I also have options to pay for a slip, although I know ultimately this will end up limiting where I sail.
MacGregor 26, Montgomery 15, Mutineer 14, Ellen 12

Offline Salty19

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
« Reply #25 on: Today at 10:03:48 AM »
Well it takes the Admiral and I about 90-120 minutes to get the 19 going, but a few things slow us down:

-Trailer extension takes a few more minutes to unhitch, extend, rehitch
-Full battens take longer to insert as they are too long to just leave on and stuff main sail in the cabin
-Harken roller furler takes some extra care to keep from sliding too much on deck, scratching boat or hatch
-An extra halyard for the drifter to untwist and secure
-I remove the boom entirely and store in cabin so I have to rerig the main sheet.  Leaving boom in cockpit or A snap shackle end of boom block would save time
-We store motor in truck so I remount and dismount each time
-I mount the anchor before launching in the bow sprit in case I need it if motor won't start (don't ask me how I know this)
-We only rig once of twice a year since we have a slip so we're out of practice each time
-I usually remove all lines to wash them over the winter so while I have re-mounted them before launching, they always get twisted and need tweaked rather than
falling into place naturally if they were left on the boat.
-Boom vang bail can be a little bit of a PITA to mount with it's spacers.
-General checks, rechecks and triple checks

I'm thinking if some of these hindrances were not present and we rigged more frequently and had a better "system" the rig time could be dropped to an hour. 
Still that's about twice as long as we could rig the 16 and be underway. 

You'll probably want to hear from others on this as we're just one of 624 boats out there and are not trailer sailers :)

Also with any Com-pac, there is an audience affect. We always get people stopping by to admire the boat and want to know more about it.

« Last Edit: Today at 10:05:47 AM by Salty19 »
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Offline kickingbug1

• Commodore
  • CLR sailor
« Reply #26 on: Today at 05:04:56 PM »
    i think you could rig a 19 in a lot less than 2 hours but you have to plan well and limit your trips for and aft as well as from the ground to the boat as much as possible. i use an "easy up" telescoping mast crutch which helps immensely. the mast on my catalina 18 is heavier i think but i can easily walk it up unassisted. I also stow my outboard and rudder in the truck and have two tongue extensions (a telescoping one on the trailer and a seperate 40" one) but i can have the boat in the water inside of 40 minutes. one hint, don't let anyone talk to you while you are rigging. that will invariably add time. after you get your boat, whichever you choose, practice, practice, and practice your rigging. you may even want to make a written set of rigging steps. whichever boat you choose you will be happy with a com-pac. if i could afford an eclipse i would have one. for now the cat 18 does the job rather nicely and at 1500lbs trailers easily. doesnt have that sweet sheer line though