Author Topic: Compac 19 vids on Youtube  (Read 576 times)

Online Jackrabbit

• Rigger
Re: Compac 19 vids on Youtube
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 06:03:25 PM »
 I guess I over-estimated the weight of the trailer, but, yep, the total weight with all the other "stuff" still warrants a minimum of 5000 LBS towing capacity for the long haul.

Also, the process of rigging a CP 19 is certainly not a trivial matter - fundamentally no different than any other marconi-rigged boat - and getting her properly set on the trailer during haulout can be a bit of work, so I definitely would not want to do this operation on a frequent basis.  Sounds like the Suncat is easier in this respect, and would have other good attributes as well (though I have no personal experience with that model). 

On the other hand, if you want a boat that sails like a witch, is stable, has a huge cockpit and is easy-peasy to launch and haul out, you would be hard pressed to find a better boat than the O'Day Mariner.  They can literally be launched on a beach.  And they can be had for a song!  But you would have to put up with a very small cabin which, while useable, is not very comfortable for extended cruising.  There's always a price to pay...

But, oh, the CP19 is just such a pretty boat in the eye of this beholder...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:11:26 PM by Jackrabbit »

Offline MGS

• Grinder
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 08:51:50 AM »
Ok, now you got me thinking.  The Eclipse is out due to weight (2200 lbs).  The Suncat (1500 lbs) however seems a good fit for me as I like the room.  Down side is the price and it's a cat rig, which I've never sailed.  I also like the enclosed transom of the Suncat as opposed to the Eclipse.  How seaworthy is the Suncat vs CP19?  I intend to use the boat for coastal bay and blue water (Atlantic) sailing.  The shallow draft of only 14" of the Suncat is appealing too.
MacGregor 26, Montgomery 15, Mutineer 14, Ellen 12

Offline Minicruiser19

• Grinder
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 11:33:11 PM »
Back to the original topic, here is a link to a video from the previous owner sailing on Buzzards Bay in Southeastern Massachusetts in 15-20 mph winds - quite impressive. He's got a few other vids on his channel too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYiS21d44U

Mine is currently on a trailer in my driveway where I can visit her daily which helps get through our long cold winters (although Jackrabbit's winters are longer and colder no contest!).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:37:22 PM by Minicruiser19 »
1999 Com-Pac 19XL, Hull # 610

Offline philb Junkie19

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 10:38:33 PM »
Nice video.  Moving right along under reefed main. Good example of fun but no drama 19 sailing. Hang in there you’ll be sailing soon. Great sailing grounds. I’ve spent some time in Falmouth but never sailed there.

Offline philb Junkie19

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 12:35:35 AM »
I see that you will be on Narraganset bay, not Buzzards. That must be the heart of N.E.sailing country. I really don’t know the area well but I did cut and take tons of rebar and other steel out huge concrete government building being knocked down on Goat Island in Newport. That made way for the big hotel complex there now. Also, as a youngster I drank a bit of Narraganset beer. Their GIQs, “giant imperial quarts” competed with Carling Black Label’s 40s. The  Do they still brew Narraganset? Maybe we can convert Bob23.

Offline kickingbug1

• Commodore
  • CLR sailor
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 07:33:38 PM »
in regards to the tow vehicle, consider two things axle ratio and wheelbase. i have a stock Silverado with just the 200 hp v6 but it has a 3.73 positrack rearend. no speed demon but a very capable tow vehicle. having towed with short wheelbase vehicles longer is better by far.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"