Author Topic: Composting head on HDC  (Read 48 times)

Offline 49captain

• Swabbie
  • Downsizer
Composting head on HDC
« on: December 19, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
Another post from a new owner, but at least I’m not asking for advice here.????

Gerry at Com-Pac was very, very helpful in this endeavor.  I removed the holding tank and Marine head in my Island Packet 29 and installed a composting head.  We loved it.  No leaks, no odors, no pump outs.  I emptied the solids bucket twice a year.  It had to be ventilated with a 12v fan but that was the only power required.

When we sold the IP and looked at the Com-Pac we absolutely did NOT want a porta-potti.  I’ve had one before and hated it.  I did some research and came up with some options for the HDC.  Gerry and his crew took a bunch of measurements and we concluded that the C-Head Shorty churn model would fit where the porta-potti  goes.   

It’s a perfect fit.  You have to remove the churn handle after use but it’s made to come off so that’s no problem.  Not to be indelicate but I’ve used it and so far no problem.  We’ll see what happens when I leave the boat closed up for a week.  The unit could be ventilated using a solar powered fan but I’m going to wait and see if it’s necessary. 

I’ll post some pictures on here soon. 
Ron