Author Topic: Going to Jordan Lake for week (Apex, NC)  (Read 302 times)

Offline PalmettoSailor

• Rigger
Going to Jordan Lake for week (Apex, NC)
« on: June 17, 2017, 11:24:31 AM »
Probably be using the ramp at Poplar Point CG. Would be appreciative of any suggestions. Kind of shaking out the equipment and learning how to trim in what I expect to be light and variable air.
First time on this lake. Looks like a nice body of water.

Offline Wes

• Commodore
Re: Going to Jordan Lake for week (Apex, NC)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 11:11:31 PM »
Vista Point is the preferred ramp for sailboats; favorable wind and not too much competition with powerboats. Plenty of parking there, an excellent ramp and a little beach and picnic shelter. I live nearby and have sailed Jordan countless times. It's a pretty lake, but of course in the summer you can expect the dreaded "light and variable" winds. Wear a swimsuit and you can at least take a dip while you wait out the occasional dead calm.

Wes
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Washington, North Carolina

Offline Jon898

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
  • Dabchick - Picnic Cat #64
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »
Jordan Lake is a really pretty body of water...we're about 10 minutes away.  Agree with Wes regarding using Vista Point to launch from.  If you don't already have one, Kingfisher Maps produce Map #1202 of Jordan Lake which could be a big help to avoid shallow spots and some of the areas with submerged trees https://www.kfmaps.com/shop/lake-maps/b-everett-jordan-lake-1202/ .

Weekends tend to be really busy with wake boats, pontoons and bass boats, while weekdays are much quieter.  Fortunately, alcohol is not allowed (enforced by the Rangers), so there are fewer crazies than other lakes I've used in other states.

If you haven't found it yet, there is a site that shows water levels, and is worth knowing about in case we have a lot of rain in the area (the rain catchment area of the lake is very big) as the ramps become "challenging" if the lake is more than about 3 feet above "full pool"...it's currently 0.8 feet above, so not an issue today http://everettjordan.uslakes.info/Level.asp .

Jon

Offline PalmettoSailor

• Rigger
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 06:57:09 PM »
Thanks for all the info. I'll check out both the map and the boat launch.

Offline BruceW

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 07:13:06 AM »
Jordan Lake has two parts, separated by a bridge that you might be able to sail under. Both sides are worth exploring. If you can't get under the bridge, and still want to try it, you can drive up to Farrington ramp on the north part of the lake.

You will certainly get tacking practice!  I like to do the other maneuvers each time out to avoid oldtimer's forgetfulness: jibes, heave-to, reefing, etc.

Enjoy the exploration.

If I get out there, it would be in a WindRider, and I'll look for you.

Bruce
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Offline PalmettoSailor

• Rigger
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 02:46:30 PM »
Hi Bruce
Thanks for info. My boat's not named, however I think it used to be. My cleaning and polishing seems to have uncovered the highlights of the name "No Tippy". There was no name on her when I purchased her 3yrs ago.
I probably won't try to deal with the bridge if I have to take the mast down. I'll be content to work the Ebeneezer and Poplar Point side, which I guess is South.
Hope to see you out there. I hope my wind app is accurate in forecasting four days with some 12 mph winds. Thunderstorms are also in the forecast. We'll see.
Marc