Author Topic: MAC Sail Question  (Read 127 times)

Offline alsantini

• Captain
  • Sail On
MAC Sail Question
« on: August 04, 2017, 02:37:04 PM »
Hi everyone.  I just purchased a replacement sail for my 2007 Eclipse.  The original Doyle sail had a rip in it and was a bit blown out.  When raised up and not really sailing, the boom would be parallel to the water.  I really had to pull it up to clear the boom gallows.  The new MAC sail (which is who makes the sails sold with a new boat) places the end of the boom well above the boom gallows.  Obviously this gives additional clearance and that is a good thing, I guess.  Question.  If you have a MAC main, and you hoist the sail until the luff is flat (not pulling up all the way), how much clearance do you have at the boom gallows?  I guess I am used to a parallel to the water boom, but have no experience with the boom gallows.  If per chance, you have a photo of your sail hoisted that shows the angle of the boom, I would love to see it.

Offline alsantini

• Captain
  • Sail On
Re: MAC Sail Question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
Guess I will answer my own question....  Today I sailed for the first time with the new sails and they are terrific.  Gerry at Com Pac told me that I would see the differences once I had the chance to use them.  He was correct.  The Doyle sails needed to be pulled up to the top of the mast which raises the boom above the boom gallows support.  The MAC sails have a longer luff.  They sit only a couple of inches from the top of the mast and it is not necessary to pull them to the top, since the leach is a bit shorter.  This puts the boom above the gallows anytime the sail is raised.  I believe the MAC sails have a bit more area since the luff is probably 8 inches longer.  They also have a bit of a shelf along the foot, making the sail partially loose footed.  Like I said, they are terrific and I immediately noticed an improvement over my worn out sails.  Less leaning and more go power.  Today I just had about 10 mph, but I can hardly wait until 12 - 15 mph wind is on the Lake,  Yahoo....  Sail On,  Al