Author Topic: My new gas tank hatch cover  (Read 233 times)

Offline brackish

• Commodore
  • Arion
My new gas tank hatch cover
« on: August 23, 2017, 12:40:05 PM »
Hopefully it will end the mashed fingers and slipped disks from "unbinding" the OEM cover.  Ready to install after I choose another completely unsatisfactory finish for this and the rest of my teak, currently all cleaned up and awaiting that decision.

I still have to add a couple of brackets for removable gimbaled drink holders and a SS t-nut for the cockpit table to lock to, but that after finishing.  If I don't like it I can always go back, it is completely reversible to the drop in fiberglass cover.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 12:43:23 PM by brackish »

Offline AislinGirlII

• Foredeck Crew
Re: My new gas tank hatch cover
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:39:26 PM »
Looks really nice. Hinging cover has got to be easier than the OEM one - I had a couple of wasps flying out from under mine, and it was real fun trying to slowly lift it off so I could peek and check under it. Wound up getting stung the second I rattled that cover on the way up.

Offline brackish

• Commodore
  • Arion
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »
Wound up getting stung the second I rattled that cover on the way up.

LOL, Been there done that, one of the reasons for the new hatch.  On the port and starboard hatches if I haven't been to the boat for a while, I'll lift them with the boat hook with a can of spray at the ready, however not possible with the OEM fuel locker cover. 

If I remember to do it regularly and I mean about every four to six months or so, rubbing a dry bar of Irish Spring soap on the underside of the hatch covers seems to keep them away.

Offline Bob23

• I'm a mean and selfish curmudgeon! - Bob23
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • All men die; few men really live.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:36:43 PM »
Glad I'm reading this, thanks guys. I'm highly allergic to wasps but I never remember to check for them. If I get stung, there's a good chance I could turn into a normal, cordial human being!
Actually, death is a possibility. As I tell the Admiral- bring it on! I wouldn't have to go to work anymore. She fails to see the humor!!!

Very nice job, Brack!

Offline brackish

• Commodore
  • Arion
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:18:46 PM »
Thanks Bob, and please, keep that Epipen handy we do not need you in any way to approach normalcy.:)

Offline AislinGirlII

• Foredeck Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »
Brackish, good tip, thanks. I'll give that a try.

Bob, I was "taking one for the team" as my wife is also highly allergic and I wanted to be sure I found the source after I saw a couple. Mind you this is my wife that asks me every morning if I remembered my meds, my wife the alphabet soup medical professional (PhD,MSN,RN-BC), my wife who NEVER remembers or bothers to get her EpiPen refilled LOL..

Offline Bob23

• I'm a mean and selfish curmudgeon! - Bob23
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • All men die; few men really live.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 05:49:46 PM »
My doc has told me that as long as the liquid is clear, the Epipen is good despite the expiration date. These things used to be affordable. Not any more.
Brack: No worry. Not planning to become any thing close to normal, ever!