Author Topic: single handing -- location of outboard controls when docking  (Read 149 times)

Offline lockwoods

• Swabbie
single handing -- location of outboard controls when docking
« on: September 05, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
My dock and lift require coming into the dock starboard side to

I bought a mercury 5hp long-shaft Sailmaster – that has the clutch on the front
However, for single handing docking, the set up is awkward
I have to be leaning over the transom and facing backwards to manipulate the clutch – which makes docking difficult (not facing forward and at the transom) – in terms of picking up lines, fending off, or flying cleat maneuver

So I am thinking of trading in new motor in for the 8hp one that has clutch and throttle on the motor tiller -- and using a tiller extension in addition. That way, I can sit on the starboard side forward of the tillers and still manipulate everything – and be able to reach the dock lines, cleats etc.  (an alternative is buying remote box, cables etc for the 5 hp – but mounting is a problem, cables, etc

The Mercury 8 hp weighs 85 pounds vs 55 for the 5 hp (not including external fuel tank)

To what degree will this extra weight be a problem. All the discussion for Sunday cats I see is for 4 or 5 hp
Can I counter balance with a couple of water or sand bags forward

Anyone have relevent experience

Steve
Chesapeake Sunday Cat Newbie

Offline Finbar Beagle

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
  • Hmmm, looks like we are the only boat out today
Re: single handing -- location of outboard controls when docking
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 05:38:19 PM »
I use a torqeedo electric, and I did buy a remote throttle.  I have not mounted it as I cannot find a good Location where it will not catch a sheet, and usually this will occur at worse possible time.
you may have more options than I can find on my 19.

Then again, I still can't find a good place for a drink holder for the helmsman.  You have to have priorities.
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

Siren 17, Boston Whaler Harpoon 5.2, Bauer 12
CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin
Kettle Creek, Barnegat Bay, NJ

Offline brackish

• Commodore
  • Arion
Re: single handing -- location of outboard controls when docking
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 07:27:40 AM »
You might consider this.  I have no personal experience and don't know what they cost, but should be much less than the net exchange on a motor.   I would think 85 lbs is too much for a Suncat.  I went from 104 lbs. to 59 lbs. on a 23 and the trim and effort to lift was much improved.

http://powertiller.com/powertiller-tt/

Offline John Fiedler

• Swabbie
I've had the Power Tiller (old model) and their Simple Steering for four years now and both and invaluable.