Author Topic: Getting sad to see summer go  (Read 161 times)

Offline rsbensonxj

• Grinder
Getting sad to see summer go
« on: September 14, 2017, 01:13:50 AM »
Not quite ready for summer to be over! The sailing season is just too short. Trying to get in all the sailing I can before it starts snowing!

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:17:52 AM by rsbensonxj »

Offline Bob23

• I'm a mean and selfish curmudgeon! - Bob23
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • All men die; few men really live.
Re: Getting sad to see summer go
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 05:11:08 AM »
Still summer in NJ! The end of summer here is defined by when I can't wear shorts anymore. Summer's still in full swing here and September is the best sailing season! Bug population is down, yahoo powerboaters are more scarce, water is clear. Who can ask for anything more?

Offline Tim Gardner

• 1985 CP19/II # 323 "Andiamo!"
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • NSA: This is not the 'droid you're looking for
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 08:00:31 AM »
Wyoming skies, less traffic, no PBRs   Hmmm... I can .
TG

PS  sailing season starts now at Smith Mountain Lake and continues through winter til next Memorial day.
"The sea is selective, slow at recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast in sinking the unfit"  - Adm Felix Riesenberg.

Offline archimedes

• Tactician
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 08:50:33 AM »
I guess it all depends on your perspective.  Here in the southeast my sailing season starts when the summer ends.  ;)

I do remember that feeling from when I used to live up north though.

Offline Mas

• Commodore
  • The big thing is to just do it!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 08:52:58 AM »
Ditto on the fall being the best! Went out yesterday again. Was heading home this morning but it appears they are going to raise the sunken sloop that been sitting, with her mast still visible, across the creek from our marina. Otta be interesting. It does remind me that though the best sailing ever, that fall does bring the "Big Ones". It was a named storm that sank her well over a decade ago.

We do love our winter sports.......so.......kinda looking forward, in a weird way, for sailing season to end. Just not for a while yet!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:23:51 PM by Mas »
S/V  'Mas'  87' CP16/2
S/V  'Interlude' 89' PSC31

Offline rsbensonxj

• Grinder
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
"We do love our winter sports.......so.......kinda looking forward, in a weird way, for sailing season to end. Just not for a while yet!"

That is exactly how I feel! I saw somewhere that possible snow is in the forecast. Ready to wax the board and skis, but not ready to put the boat away. Technically I have 2 weeks before the reservoir starts draining.

Offline brackish

• Commodore
  • Arion
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »
My boat is currently in the driveway all cleaned up and getting ready to be launched for the true "Start" of the best sailing season.  If I am going to endure miserable hot windless days, I might as well endure them working on the boat rather than bobbing around in the heat,  fighting all the powerboat wakes.