Author Topic: Folding bikes for the CP16  (Read 1589 times)

Offline tholepin

• Grinder
Folding bikes for the CP16
« on: October 28, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
Any owner of small craft used for cruising can profit by having wheels ashore.  However, for every bright and shiny folding bike displayed on the aft rail, I've seen, and you have as well, ten others rusted in the folded position never to be used again.  As for size and weight, most folding bikes would look ludicrous perched somewhere on a 16.

I am tired of hiking into a community looking for a market to buy cat food, AA batteries, gas, you name it - load the stuff in a backpack and trudge back to the dinghy or the marina.  So, I began looking for a plastic folding bike.  I found one that works for me.  But, it isn't quite on the market, yet.

Here is the link to view it:  weburbanist+conceptbikes.com  When you get to the Google page, click on "Cycling into the future:  15 concept bicycles."  My choice is the white folding bike that folds into a circular package that will fit under the cockpit in a CP-16.  It is called "One," and is designed by Thomas Owen.  He is affiliated (somehow) with Yanko Design.   

I've been asking questions as to its availability, and the more cruising sailors who do will spur the product to market.  No more must we walk down a rural byway looking for a market then stagger back lugging 40 pounds of Dinty Moore stew.

Are there any folding bikes suitable for small boats that you use or have caught your fancy?  I sure would like to know about them!  Thank you.

Tholepin

The smaller the boat - the bigger the adventure.

Offline capt_nemo

• Commodore
Re: Folding bikes for the CP16
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
Carried two 20" wheel 3-speed folding DAHON Mariner bikes for several years when cruising extensively on a 35' Island Packet Sailboat. They were quite compact, had zippered storage bags with handles, could be equipped with removable wire baskets on handlebars and folding wire saddlebag type baskets for the rear wheel. Carried a lot of groceries and other stuff with them. They served us well as load carriers, but more importantly, extended our range from the Marinas and anchorages for sight seeing. I believe they made a folding 16" wheel version also which would be even easier to stow.

Recommend you take a look at the DAHON or similar small "Marinized" folding bikes. I'm sure you could find a place on a Com-Pac 16 for such a practical item!

capt_nemo

Offline redfishnc

• Tactician
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:06:04 PM »
I have a 20 Dahon and an older 16.  Anyone interested in the 16, it needs the gears repaired or a coaster wheel installed.  If you are handy you can have it for shipping and actual packing costs.  I am in Wilmington, NC or Oriental and if anyone is local and interested ping me and maybe we can work something out.

Offline Joseph

• Captain
  • "Sassy Gaffer", Suncat 17 #365 (2010)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »
While cruising, for several years I've had onboard a Giant Halfway folding bike (UK's Mike Burrows design). It  weights abt. 30 lbs, has an aluminum frame, a two-piece folding hand bar and a one sided front fork that allows the bicycle to fold flat against itself into a maneageable size (approx. a 2.5 - 3 ft sided triangle). It also sports 6 speed gears, reflectors, mudguards and a small rack.

It saved the day several times when moored far away from supplies...

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-ca/bikes/model/halfway/9776/49366/

J.
"Sassy Gaffer"
SunCat 17 #365

Offline sailen69

• Tactician
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 10:57:10 PM »
I mostly single hand and my kids are too small to drive yet.  Don’t laugh too hard at me but, I often use one of my kids folding scooters packed in my 16.  It doesn’t have any peddle power but it does save a few footsteps, and will coast all the way downhill.  Some of the boat ramps are a long distance from where I will stay for a weekend.  I launch my boat, park my car, move my boat to my dock, and walk / scooter / coast back to pick up the car.  I don’t want to say how far or you would really laugh.  At the end of my stay I park the car back at the launch, scooter back to where I have my boat, sail back to the launch and pull my boat.
Rich    
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:05:36 PM by sailen69 »

Offline riggerjohn

• Deck Hand
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »
redfish- sent you a pm on the 16" bike.'
thanks