Author Topic: Solar Power for Battery Charging  (Read 120 times)

Offline Christopher

• Rigger
Solar Power for Battery Charging
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:08:06 PM »
Fellow Suncaters,
  I am planning ahead for a trip this summer to the Georgian Bay/North Channel and I am going to install a solar panel to keep my battery charged up so I will have Nav. lights, GPS/Chartplotter and cell phone and maybe a Tiller Pilot without the need to recharge my 12V battery at a marina during the trip.  I figure 30 watts would be plenty of power but I'm open to suggestions.  Right now I'm planning on making the solar panel itself portable so I can easily stow it when I don't want to use it.  Has anyone installed solar power for battery charging on their Suncat?  If so would you please provide the forum details on how you did it. 

Thank-you,
Christopher
Second Wind

Offline rogerschwake

• Captain
Re: Solar Power for Battery Charging
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 11:14:47 PM »
  I have added just about every thing on my Sun Cat that will fit on board. That includes a 18 Watt solar panel from Coleman that came with a voltage protector or what ever they call them. The panel is about 12" X 36". It fits perfectly on the small aft deck behind the cockpit and between the uprights for the boom gallows. Since I mostly day sail or am gone for gust a couple days don't usually have it on board when sailing. The only problem I can see is getting back on the boat using the boarding ladder, it would be in the way. When I go to the CLR and am using the auto pilot, GPS, radio, charging the phone and using the lights on board with out charging the battery at all. In the summer the boat sets out side with this solar panel connected and sail on average  one day a week. The battery is always at full charge. Hope this was of some help and see you this summer.

ROGER

Offline ChuckD

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
  • Sailing WA's Olympic Peninsula
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 01:40:55 AM »
Christopher,
Here's a post I created when I installed mine - which I love.
http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=9936.msg75011#msg75011

Note: The Amazon link in my post shows Currently Unavailable, but offers similar panels.

Keep us updated!
Chuck
s/v Walt Grace (CP16)
Sequim, WA

Offline Christopher

• Rigger
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 08:50:47 PM »
Great info!

Thank-you