Author Topic: Copy and Paste Pics into Posts?  (Read 4210 times)

Offline RichS

• Foredeck Crew
Copy and Paste Pics into Posts?
« on: November 04, 2010, 06:00:59 PM »
If there is a way to do this I can't seem to figure it out.

I seems logical to me to be able to reference a pic on the local hard drive of the computer being used to access cpyoa and either copy and paste the pic between the begin img and end img tags or inset a file url between the begin img and end img tags and have the pic become part of the post. But I can't seem to make this work.

It doesn't seem nearly as logical to me to have to join some other site and upload pics there in order to reference them in posts from here... but I assume it works since that is the process I see described elsewhere in this forum. I have not joined any other places that provide storage for and reference to pics and would rather not if I don't have to.

Am I missing something? Is it possible to do the copy and paste thing and I'm just not doing it right?
1988 CP16/3 #2608

Offline Greene

• Commodore
  • Wrinkles 84 Island Packet 31 Crew: Mike and Brenda
    • Wrinkles in Our Sails
Re: Copy and Paste Pics into Posts?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
The image has to be on a publicly available website for the Copy and Paste method to work.  If it is just kept on your hard drive, say in your Pictures folder, the site can't access your picture to display it.  Yeah it is a sucky method, but for now it is being used as a patch until (if?) the Gallery is repaired.

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Offline Bob23

• I'm a mean and selfish curmudgeon! - Bob23
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • All men die; few men really live.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:30:51 PM »
I don't think I can help with this one.
Bob23

Offline Greene

• Commodore
  • Wrinkles 84 Island Packet 31 Crew: Mike and Brenda
    • Wrinkles in Our Sails
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 11:01:17 PM »
I don't think I can help with this one.
Bob23

Bob you crack me up!

Mike
'84 CP-16 (sold) - '88 CP-19II (sold) - '88 Com-Pac 23/3 (sold)
http://s613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/greene2108/

"I'm just one bad decision away from a really good time."

http://wrinklesinoursails.blogspot.com

Offline bmiller

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:24:41 AM »
If there is a way to do this I can't seem to figure it out.

It doesn't seem nearly as logical to me to have to join some other site and upload pics there in order to reference them in posts from here... but I assume it works since that is the process I see described elsewhere in this forum. I have not joined any other places that provide storage for and reference to pics and would rather not if I don't have to.

Am I missing something? Is it possible to do the copy and paste thing and I'm just not doing it right?

The logic lies in the fact that there are several free photo hosting sites out there where you can store your photos. Once your photos are hosted somewhere adding them to a post is really quite simple. With a little tutilage even Bob could do it, if he wasn't such a curmudgeon.
I actually prefer my own site as I may want to post the same photo on more than one site. One photo site, multiple links, as opposed to uploading the same photo to multiple sites. And I can store more than just photos of my boat.

Online Salty19

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »
Greene and Bmiller have it right.

While it would seem to make sense, keep in mind this site doesn't store any photo's.  All it's doing is *referencing* the picture from another internet site.  That could be picassa, photobucket, or any number of hosting sites.  Your PC, while on the internet, is not publically acessible.  At least I hope for your sake it's not otherwise you have a big security problem.

It's a lot easier than it looks.  Open an account on a photo hosting site (not snapfish!), upload your pics to that site, then reference the link on this forum.
In the case of photobucket, it will give you the IMG code already.  So once you upload there, you can literally copy and paste the IMG code into a post here. 
Once you do it once, it's gravy.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Offline RichS

• Foredeck Crew
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 11:56:51 AM »
Thanks for the responses and clarifications guys. I should probably note that I have been an "IT guy" since the 70's and understand the nuances and security implications around where files are located and such. I guess since this is the "User Input" section I am just saying that it would be "nice?" if one could paste a pic directly.

I am an admin for a scifi game forum where we have this capability which is why I brought it up. However we have our own servers located at an internet service provider and so have the luxury of plenty of server side disk storage as well as the ability to customize the opensource forum software. Believe me I understand the complications of managing an environment with limits on things like disk space especially when lots of pic files which can get quite large are involved.

I guess I'm the curmudgeon here as I have thus far resisted joining any of the pic sharing sites. While free is good I am trying to limit my joining additional sites where I must set up yet another username with a unique (important) and secure (even more important) password when I already have too many of these to count...

Thanks again.
1988 CP16/3 #2608

Online Salty19

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 12:55:08 PM »
Hi Rich,

I feel your pain brutha, but unfortunately we don't host pics here like some other forums.
However, I'll talk it over with the admins as our Photo gallery has been offline for some time now.

In the meantime, yes, you may have to remember yet another username and password.  As I said, I feel your pain (I'm in IT/Telecom and have LOTS of passwords to remember!).

Offline Bob23

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 04:11:19 PM »
Curmudgeon? CURMUDGEON?! CUR-stinkin'-MUDGEON???? Well, I don't know what to say? I've never been so flattered in all my life!
Bob23

Offline bmiller

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 10:36:01 PM »
Bob we can do this. Let's start with inserting a random image. Go to google images and search for an image. Roll the curser over the image and click, when it opens up right click and a dialog box opens up. When the box opens click on properties, then highlight and copy the address (url).
Come back here and paste the url, hgihlight it again and click on the image tab. You wind up with this:

Offline Tim Gardner

• 1985 CP19/II # 323 "Andiamo!"
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • NSA: This is not the 'droid you're looking for
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 11:11:04 PM »
Miller, You crack me up - ROTFLMAO, AIW230

You just guaranteed bob23's complete refusal to post a picture!  Well, I guess that's not so bad, I posted his picture and it broke my monitor!

TG
"The sea is selective, slow at recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast in sinking the unfit"  - Adm Felix Riesenberg.

Online Salty19

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »
Bob, there's a couple of support groups that can help get you through this curb-munchkin thing.

Hey, even better!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 12:11:05 AM by Salty19 »

Offline Bob23

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 06:45:50 AM »
   Just one thing I want to know: Bill where did you find that picture of me? I thought that was in our private family album but someone musta leaked it. Just like the one of me rowing the dink.
   Just for fun, I checked curmudgeon.com. It was someone's cooking blog. That really made me cranky.
   Tim: I just got off the phone with my Uncle Barney Hewlett...yeah of HP fame. A new monitor is on it's way to you even as we speak. Sorry about the broken one...it happens!
   Another think I want to know: When and if I ever post a photo here, who's gonna buy the first round? There: the battle lines are drawn!!! The games afoot, Watson!!!
Bob23

Offline bmiller

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 06:44:16 PM »
     Another think I want to know: When and if I ever post a photo here, who's gonna buy the first round? There: the battle lines are drawn!!! The games afoot, Watson!!!
Bob23

It's on me, just gotta find this stuff.

Offline Bob23

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 01:10:28 AM »
Ok, here goes:

Ah...I don't think this is what we're looking for here.
Bob23