Author Topic: How about a log...  (Read 1313 times)

Offline ehall686

• Foredeck Crew
How about a log...
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:50:37 PM »
How about putting a log or journal in the forum?

I belong to a aquarium forum and you can post photos of your tank talk about what you are going to do and see the results after.
It would not really be any questions posted you can do that in another thread or topic line.

I took my CP-19 out for the 4th time (and 4th time as a captain of any boat), the day started out glass smooth water, light winds and turned into a 20 mph to gusts 25 mph nightmare a couple hour later.  lost the front sail and then the motor quit blah blah blah  I was just looking for a place to log the experience.

Eric

Offline Billy

• Commodore
Re: How about a log...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:07:12 PM »
Bob23 has a thread titled "the continuing adventures of Koinonia" and there is another for aristo.

You could start one in the 19 section. Sorry to hear about your jib. At least you made it back to sail another day!

What was your jib like? Old? What was the weight? 5oz?

Billy
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

Offline ehall686

• Foredeck Crew
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 09:55:09 PM »
I guess I will start one about my adventures in my cpyacht also.

Yes, I think that the Jib sail is old, I guess I did not loose it but it came un-knotted and it fell to the deck when I needed it most and lost the use of it.  before the fall and after the sail got caught on the anchor the blue fabric that lines the outside started to rip, what a bad feeling that is.

I'm sorry I'm just learning and I admit that I need some lessons but I am not familiar with the weight of a sail.

Offline Billy

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:50:14 PM »
It's the thickness.
Less (4oz) is really good for light air, but will rip in heavy wind

More (6 oz) is really heavy and not so goodie lightwindbut should last slot longer.

I have two foresails. A 150 genoa that is 4 ozand a 110 jib that is 5.5 oz.

The blue trim you mentioned? Do you have a roller furling? The blue fabric could be a uv protectant. If you have a curler you could roll the sail up some when the wind picks up. But not too much or you lose the shape.

Offline Salty19

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
    • Island Time Pictures
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:26:51 PM »
Eric,

Came unknotted and fell to the deck?  Do you mean the jib halyard knot let loose?

If so...get a new halyard with a spliced shackle.  Will never come loose again. Especially important for the main halyard too as knots tend to prevent the head of the sail from being raised as high as possible, therefore the boom could be lower than is should be.  Plus you now have a halyard too high to recapture and fix on the water.  Motor trouble is a pain...I feel for ya bro.

Interesting about your sails, Billy. I have a 3oz 140 genoa and 5 oz 110 jib (5.5oz main).  Both perform quite well (National/Rolly Tasker sails). Dirk from National recommended the 3oz so far be it for me to question a guy that knows what he's talking about.  But I do expect a little shorter sail life because of it.

Offline ehall686

• Foredeck Crew
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 12:14:33 AM »
Yes it came unknotted at the top form the rolling furller. I will look into getting a new halyard with the spliced shackle, I can see that would be superior to what I have now.  When we anchored for the night we dropped the mast and retied the furller. 

Now I going to have to unroll the sail and see if the weight is written on it some where.
When I got the boat I got a bunch of sails in bags in the v berth. 
So I have a spinnaker and an extra jib sail that I can't use because I have the furler.  and one original main sail made be Johnson sails with the hull number on it 071.

Offline Billy

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 08:16:01 AM »
You can still use the spinnaker with a furler. There should be a metal loop atop the mast above the forestay. Attach a block there, and another halyard. The spinnaker should fly forward of everything including your jib.

But if you insist, and it is in good shape, I'll take the spinnaker off your hands!

Doubt it will say the weight on the sail.
Mike, mine too are Rolly Tasker. The weights were recommended to meto by a local maker ass well. He is also a compac rep and is very familiar with the 19 and local wind conditions. I took his word. And they seem to be just right.

Eric, you should be able to change the sail on the furled fairly easy if they both have bolt ropes and not hanks. Just may take a bit longer than if they were hanked. Where are you located? You may want to use a certain sail per certain season. I use my genoa alot more in the summer and the jib more often o the spring and fall.

Offline ehall686

• Foredeck Crew
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:22:31 PM »
My furler has a bolt rope system and my extra jib has a the Hanks. Different sails for the seasons!? WoW I have a lot to experince yet including flying the spinnaker for the first time. I do have a halyard line on the port side That I think that the spinnaker would attach to.

There is a power squadron club in town that I found out this week and the membership director said that it is 60% sailors in membership. They also have sail classes that they offer that I should be taking.

Location: I am in northern Michigan and just off Lake Michigan on Grand traverse Bay that I have been sailing on. The bay is plenty big enough to explore, 36 miles long with six small towns skirting the edge of the bay and smaller bays to anchor in for the night.

Offline Bob23

• I'm a mean and selfish curmudgeon! - Bob23
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • All men die; few men really live.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 05:02:00 AM »
Eric:
   Welcome and I'm glad you are sharing your adventures with us. Maybe your jib can be repaired? I just replaced the original sails (Johnson) on my 1985 cp 23/2 and what a difference! The original sails "looked" ok but to the trained sailmaker who looked at them, in her words: "These sails haven't been good for a long time!"
   Point is, all the extra sails may look ok but if they're blown out, the may not have the proper shape to move the boat efficiently. The result is a boat that will not point high enough and like mine, you may experience more heeling than forward motion. Although I spent a few $$ on my sails, which I had made locally, it is the engine of the sailboat.
   Yeah, start a thread unter the 19 section. You could title it: "The Adventures of Eric the Brave" or anything you want. We look forward to hearing of your adventures!
Bob23 in NJ

Offline skip1930

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 08:10:06 AM »
Just post the story in the --> Com-Pac Sailors Lounge <--

skip.