Author Topic: Karam  (Read 1723 times)

Offline nies

• Captain
Karam
« on: February 19, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »
Admin.......................................the negative on the karam makes people feel bad, since all of our topics are about our shared interest, might be a good idea to just leave the positive so someone gets feed back that they were helpful , just a thought .....................nies
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:41:07 AM by Tim Gardner »

Offline NateD

• Commodore
    • Plus Ultra
Re: Karam
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:25:08 PM »
I like the idea nies. I shared a little good karma with you for coming up with it.

Offline Bob23

• I'm a mean and selfish curmudgeon! - Bob23
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • All men die; few men really live.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 05:47:03 PM »
Nies:   I agree.
  A few years ago whilst farting around on the site as a newbie and pushing buttons, I accidentally gave someone a bad karma. I was devistated and apologized repeatedly! It was removed by a moderator.
  That being said, when I'm wrong about something, I'd appreciate an explanation instead of a bad K. I have a few...and I don't loose sleep about any of 'em!
Bob23

Online brackish

• Commodore
  • Arion
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »
I agree.  I actually think it is a bit sneaky to use the bad Karma button.  I would rather tell someone how I feel than do that.  I rarely look at mine, but when the BK goes up, I always wonder who did not like something I wrote and would not just tell me... ???

Offline Bob23

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »
Wow, Brack:
   How'd you rack up 11 bad ones? It's a wonder you get anything for Christmas, being such a bad boy as you obviously are!
   In related news, I'd have to admit that I rarely give anyone good K's either and I'm certainly at fault for that. Keeping up with my capitalist reputation, I will sell good K's to anyone for $100.00 cold cash. That's right! and 12 for a thousand. Think how great you'll look with all those good karmas next to your name. Hey, I gotta plan my retirement, guys...don't fault me for trying!
Bob23
(I hope some doesn't give me a bad K for this attempt)

Offline MacGyver

• ASM, WalMart
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • WalMart ASM, 1989 ComPac 19/3
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »
Bad Karma is bad because when it happened to me (How I got one I have no clue, not a big deal though, it happens  ;) )
My wife made me do dishes and vacuum the house........

So if it was done away with, I know that house chores are not in my future when she does see it, and I dont have to explain how I got it......

Of course I say this in jest, I personally like the Karma thing, it is fun. But I do think that sometimes it makes me wonder, what did that person do?
Some on here I can see why it happens, but all in all I find it a fun thing......

In a sense by giving a bad Karma, you can voice your dissatisfaction without being offending, and everyone is left to wonder why, which ensures some hilarity with a multitude of comments followed my a moderator deleting a persons negative Karma rating.

With no repercussions for those who were offended and no one is mad enough to leave the site over it. Like "I am leaving because this guy gave me a bad Karma, or hates what I said."

So to me it softens the aggravations into oblivion.

I accidently gave someone a bad karma (and a good one) but told a moderator (Salty19) and he took care of it no issues.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Works on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 14 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Offline jthatcher

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 07:32:42 PM »
i think that i know why i got 2 bad k's   probably deserved them  :)   not sure about the third..   get this bob.. i know how to post picks.. but i still don't know how to assign good or bad k's!     but,  looking over lots of posts,  it sure is nice to know that the  good ones far outweigh the bad ones.   lots of nice folks here...   jt

Offline crazycarl

• Commodore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 08:02:04 PM »
bob does have a lot of good karma.  he also tries to uuuhhhmmm....for lack of a kinder word....extort, $$$ from new members with his "fee" schedule.  

(i still have that 2nd mortgage thank you very much)

i wouldn't put it past him to click on his own good karma just to make the rest of us feel inferior.  ;)

i also wouldn't be surprised if he clicked on his own bad karma for the sympathy angle.
(if it works, send me a pm.  maybe i can use that angle at home)

but seriously, can one give themselves karma?  if one can give ones self good karma, would that bring about bad karma to that one?
(TG the Magnimous Administator, says, No, one cannot give good or bad Karma to one's self)

i'm giving myself a headache, i'll shut now,       carl
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:43:51 AM by Tim Gardner »
Somonauk, IL  where the washing machine was invented and the local museum's most interesting exhibit is a two headed calf!

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat - then decided to race them. - Philosopher Unknown

Offline Bob23

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »
   Extort? EXTORT? Ooooo...that's such a nasty word. I prefer to think of it as relieving someone of money that they really don't need.
I never thought of giving myself a good K or two....Hmmm...that would definitely bring some bad K's down on my head.
   JT: How in the world did you ever get 2 bad ones? I wonder if there is a record for the most good or bad K's....
   I'd still prefer that someone tell me I'm a misinformed blabbermouth rather than give me a negative K. It's better to be above board.
Bob23

Offline Tim Gardner

• 1985 CP19/II # 323 "Andiamo!"
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • NSA: This is not the 'droid you're looking for
Re: Karma
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 05:32:59 AM »
I believe in the swap-out method of Karma Management ( or KM as it will be referred to hereafter).  FOR FREE, one should be able to obtain KM by buying out his Bad Karma with Good Karma at  a rate of say, 1BK=5GK.  So, in Bob's case his KM would result in 76 GK/0 BK (96-(5*5)).

Brack, however wold KM out to -2 BK units.  Must've been the Big Brack Attack of years gone by that caused all the Bk, Brack.

And yes, Bob, with THREE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED AND FORTY PLUS :o posts, you are a blabbermouth indeed! Just so you know. :-*

And Nies, I hate to Karam this down your spell checker, but it's KARMA, not KARAM!  A little dislexic, are we? ;D

Now if that doesn't get me a couple of Karma scars (kinda like prison tats, no?), I don't know what will.

TG
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:39:22 AM by Tim Gardner »
"The sea is selective, slow at recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast in sinking the unfit"  - Adm Felix Riesenberg.

Online brackish

• Commodore
  • Arion
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 07:53:54 AM »
Wow, Brack:
   How'd you rack up 11 bad ones? 

Bob, I think  I got most of them in a flurry, as Tim says, the big Brack Attack of years gone by. ;) Obtained them honestly, defending my wife and many millions of MacDonald's clerks worldwide during the infamous GPS Limbo thread.  It is impossible, I think, to avoid casualties when in the midst of a campaign such as that. ;D

I kind of like Tim's Karma management proposal, however, I think the ratio's may be a little severe.  And that by an individual who has been around for a long time and not managed to pick up a BK. :o.  I think he may have the fix in with the admin team..... ;)

Offline skip1930

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 09:45:43 AM »
Dab-nab-it-all I see nothing wrong with Bad Karma. Hurts a little bit. I get lots of them. And proud of it. I like BK.
As a product of public education it seems to be the only thing I'm good at. I think I was taught to be a failure.
It simply means that an idea or position presented offended someone or many someones.
O.K., and capitulating is a good thing? Never give up your principles. It's fun to vent on facebook.
Although we have the right to free speech, we don't have the right to be heard.  :-X

Not every child is a STAR. Some are born to slug it out with the bullies, and win.

Shut-up skip. Eat it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:21:09 AM by skip1930 »

Online Salty19

• Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 09:59:59 AM »
I am stunned, Nies, as to why you rec'd two bad Karma's. In the past and now, you've always given good advice and seem to be a nice guy. Heck, I have that many and lord knows I've ticked off a member or three over time.  Chaulk it up to someone clicking on the wrong link, I guess. Or someone didn't get your sense of humor.

If it's a huge problem for many, we can certainly remove the negative Karma link entirely, but I personally think it's important to know if you are offending others (and hopefully adjusting to it).  

If it's removed, we can almost certainly be assured the forum will be like unicorns flying through rainbows licking lollipops, right?   8)

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Offline nies

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 10:06:11 AM »
Salty, just a thought, always had  a thick skin, but will have to watch my happy fingers for spelling LOL  ....................nies

Offline crazycarl

• Commodore
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 06:59:29 AM »
wait...unicorns are real?
Somonauk, IL  where the washing machine was invented and the local museum's most interesting exhibit is a two headed calf!

Man invented the slowest form of transportation - the sailboat - then decided to race them. - Philosopher Unknown