Author Topic: Com-pac Launch picture at St. Pete Boat Show  (Read 17365 times)

Offline Awfeith

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
  • Com-Pac 27 #161
Com-pac Launch picture at St. Pete Boat Show
« on: January 13, 2015, 09:27:35 PM »

New electric drive launch with the Horizon cat hull
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:37:46 PM by Salty19 »

Offline Mike K

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
Re: Com-pac Launch picture at St. Pete Boat Show
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 03:28:29 PM »
This picture shows the Com-Pac sailboat heritage by using a Palm tree mast planted between the 2 biminis. 
The mast is included in case the owner later realizes his mistake of not buying a sailboat!  :)
Mike.  '13 Legacy "Santosha".

Offline kickingbug1

• Commodore
  • CLR sailor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 04:06:23 PM »
    i bet for a lot less money you could have a real powerboat with powerboat performance. what a waste of a nice sailboat.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Offline Bob23

• I'm a mean and selfish curmudgeon! - Bob23
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • All men die; few men really live.
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »
Hmm...that looks like a free standing palm tree- no rigging! The launch is also available with a diesel too, I think.
Bob23

Offline kahp ho

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:07:29 PM »
Wonder if I could get one with an ol' one lunger. Just something about the sound of those I can't resist.
'07 Legacy "Amphibian"

Offline skip1930

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 08:23:18 AM »
I like this launch. Electric or diesel. At the South Shore Yacht Club in Milwaukee there is an electric launch to ferry owners out to their vessels sitting on cans. Nothing wrong with it.
After all Hutchins is a boat building outfit and this is a 'single purpose' boat. So ?

skip.

Offline mayrel

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »
I think this new launch is a very good idea.  There are a number of us older sailors who have been looking for an alternative which has character, quality and affordable.  Most of us realize purchasing any new boat has a built-in depreciation factor.  Depreciation obviously impacts re-sale value.  Acceptability then becomes part of the equation for how popular a given boat will be.  I suggest this is a very difficult, and expensive, adventure for the builder.  With that said, there have been many boats converted to mini-trawlers and/or pilot house sailboats.  And many of these conversions were based on the ComPac 16 and 23.  The target audience might be a small number, but the ComPac pilot house 23 seems to have found it's place in the market.  With that said, let's take a closer look at the new ComPac Launch.  Aside from being a "launch" to ferry folks to and from, could it not be easily used as a mini-camp-cruiser?  With the addition of side panels to the existing cockpit cover, possibly even a drop-down privacy curtain would provide a place for the head.  If the cockpit has efficient scuppers/drains, one could easily shower in the cockpit.  With the idea of cruising protected waters such as the ICW or crossing bays(weather permitting),  exploring bayous or just taking an evening sunset boat ride, I think this boat has a lot to offer.  We currently keep our CP19 in a marina which allows easier access and utilization vice trailering, rigging, launching and retrieving.  We've considered modifying our boat to use as a mini-trawler.  By adding a canvas cockpit enclosure with a bit more headroom and a corresponding dodger, and removing the mast and boom, it could be converted back to the original sailboat without much trouble.  And there would be no structural modifications to the boat.  Granted, the cost to add such a canvas enclosure would be expensive, much cheaper than purchasing a new ComPac Launch.  I hope these boats will sell and become available on the used market at a price within our reach.  If money wasn't a factor, I'd order one today and sell our CP19.  Just another point of view....John

Offline Bayouboater

• Swabbie
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 07:33:12 AM »
I just ordered one for cruising the GIWW from Texas to Fla panhandle. I think it is perfect, I plan to trailer it to other waterways in Louisiana and Texas, as well as occasional blue point crabbing in the marsh lakes of Louisiana, so my championship seafood gumbo keeps that fresh caught flavor!

Offline Gerry

• 2nd Watch Helmsman
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 02:57:40 PM »
I saw this launch at the Hutchin's factory last winter.  Looks great and works great for demos.  It did not have the mast when I saw it....secondary market?

Gerry
WYATTC: CP-16; 1981

Offline rbh1515

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 10:49:00 PM »
Did you get the diesel?  I read an interesting article recently about the Hershoff America.  I knew the the HDC used the modified mold of the Hershoff America, but I did not realize that the boat was also originally available as a launch.  Thus, the Launch from Hutchins!
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Offline cruz-in

• Foredeck Crew
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 11:19:23 AM »
I too think there will be niche market for this Aging sailors, yacht clubs, etc.

I really like the idea...