Author Topic: cp19 tacking problem  (Read 1858 times)

Offline denjen0914

• Swabbie
cp19 tacking problem
« on: August 22, 2015, 08:05:55 AM »
Hi everyone
 For over 30 years we had a 1983 cp16. Late last fall we updated to a 1987 cp19 II. Before we put  her into the water this spring I added a rudder craft foil rudder. The boat from the original owner had  a 150% genoa sail. My problem I am having is tacking. When we go into a tack she keeps going and I have a hard time keeping from turning even with the rudder turned hard. The cp16 we had would spin on a Lilly pad but the cp19 has me baffled. I made sure the rudder is down all the way and tight .
Is it possible the genoa is pulling us around and the rudder can't stop it?  Help 

Offline Tim Gardner

• 1985 CP19/II # 323 "Andiamo!"
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Commodore
  • NSA: This is not the 'droid you're looking for
Re: cp19 tacking problem
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 08:30:33 AM »
I used to have a similar problem with the genoa.  I've found that if I delay sheeting in the genoa until i have the boat boat established on the new bearing, the problem goes away.  I don't have that issue with the jib.

TG
"The sea is selective, slow at recognition of effort and aptitude, but fast in sinking the unfit"  - Adm Felix Riesenberg.

Offline marc

• Helmsman
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 09:40:02 AM »
I have a 150% and a foil rudder. When I tack, I backwind the jib just enough to be sure that the boat's nose will pass through the wind. Once that occurs, I release the jib sheet (from what is now the upwind side) and change my cockpit seat to the upwind side. As soon as I change seats, I center my tiller, then start pulling in the downwind sheet. I found that if I don't center my tiller as soon as possible, the boat will turn further than I want.
Marc

Offline denjen0914

• Swabbie
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 05:53:48 AM »
Thank you for the help. Going sailing today and see if it helps. Really love the boat. Just that 3 feet makes a big difference in comfort and steady feel with strong wind .