While "sailing" Pegasus on the hard in my driveway (prep for BBB-2015), upon dousing the main,
noticed a missing rivet from the mains'ls head plates. Now, I have a collection of thousands of
rivets... but not this one! Off to Ace Hardware to purchase a package of 1/8" diameter x 3/16" - 1/4"
grip range. Figured I'd better back 'em up as well, so picked up a package of 1/8" diameter back-up plates.
Well, upon closer examination, determined that of the 12 existing rivets, 8 were just along for the ride!
Good thing I bought the package, especially when the mortality rate turned out to be 50%!
Okay, first I carefully drilled out the old corroded brass, busted rivets. Relatively easy because they have
"eyes". Then applied a Vice Grip close to the hole (this is necessary to compress the sail or your "mortality"
rate of new rivets will be even higher). Load up the new rivet with back-up plate. Insert through hole, apply
2nd back-up plate and secure with a pair of pliers (I used my Leatherman) and squeeze. Presto! Move on
to the next, and the next, etc. This job is real easy, if you have three hands! But, really isn't that bad.
The first rivet I installed, I used only one backing plate... wrong! Use 'em both. I would do the remaining
four, but with only four new rivets left... nah! Maybe some other time, for the sake of uniformity.
81 CP16 Pegasus