Author Topic: Where are all the next generation of sailboaters?  (Read 4762 times)

Offline Mas

• Commodore
  • The big thing is to just do it!
Re: Where are all the next generation of sailboaters?
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 09:16:27 PM »
Spent most of last week on the boat and met two young couples who just went in together on a very used sloop. They know little about sailing but are very excited. Just listening to them talk about their plans sure put a smile on my face. :)

They're out there, we just have to nurture them.
S/V  'Mas'  87' CP16/2
S/V  'Interlude' 89' PSC31

Offline MKBLK

• Commodore
  • "Pegasus"
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2016, 07:15:27 AM »
Last weekend was invited to be "rail meat" on a Hunter 27. Met a number of young sailors in their twenties. There is some hope. Oh BTW we managed to hit 2.1 knots. Not a lot of air. And, full disclosure... came in last (actually threw in the towel and decided to have some fun!).

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Offline Mas

• Commodore
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »
Spent most of last week on the boat and met two young couples who just went in together on a very used sloop. They know little about sailing but are very excited. Just listening to them talk about their plans sure put a smile on my face. :)

They're out there, we just have to nurture them.

The 'dudes' of the two couples were just coming in from a full day out with huge smiles pasted across their faces. They saw me on our boat and insisted i come over for some cheese and crackers and a cold one. They couldn't wait to tell me about their trip that day to a place we had suggested. "This has been the best thing i have ever done" was one of the fellow's comments about getting their boat. Yup they're out there!
S/V  'Mas'  87' CP16/2

Offline Mas

• Commodore
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »
Well while down at the bay for CBMWG 2.0 ran into the above mentioned dudes who were sitting in the cockpit of their boat on a gorgeous day having cold beers. The wind was up and so asked them if they were going out......"nope we came down to work on the boat" Hmmm.....when asked about the seemingly little work being done and the obvious beer drinking, they replied "oh this is our planning session!" I'd say that this particular example of a New Generation of sailors seems to be fitting in quite well already thank you!   :)
S/V  'Mas'  87' CP16/2

Offline HeaveToo

• Commodore
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2017, 08:45:13 PM »
I would take some sailors closer to my age.  My wife complains about not having people my age sail!

I think that people will pick it up later on.  Honestly age is but a number.  It really doesn't matter where you work, what you do, how old you are, or any of that stuff because when you sail you are just part of the family.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Offline Mas

• Commodore
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2017, 01:08:44 PM »
I would take some sailors closer to my age.  My wife complains about not having people my age sail!

I think that people will pick it up later on.  Honestly age is but a number.  It really doesn't matter where you work, what you do, how old you are, or any of that stuff because when you sail you are just part of the family.

Agreed! We play music out here every Thursday and the sessions span 40 years in age. One of my best friends has a father my age. It just doesn't matter. I am always asking what people are going to do when they grow up because frankly i am looking for good ideas!
S/V  'Mas'  87' CP16/2

Offline HeaveToo

• Commodore
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2017, 02:34:09 PM »
Most of my friends are older anyway.  The love out the outdoors knows no age.  Young or old, if you love the outdoors then you get along with other people who love it.  I love fly fishing and sailing and I will sail or fish with anyone that likes to do those things.

Music is the same way.  I always want to learn the acoustical guitar but I have too many hobbies already!
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Offline Mas

• Commodore
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »
Well, it's time to revive his topic as another potential future sailor was encountered this past week. I had gone down to our boat(s) with the intention of some sailing but ended up doing some major cleaning, misc. maintenance and lots of kayaking with the light and variable winds and nice temps we had.

On one such trip this week met a young man who I had seen around our little marina, usually with headphones on and never engaging in any conversation with anyone, but he was bringing one of the marina's kayaks back and engaged in a conversation with me. It became obvious why he rarely engages anyone, as he is a severe stutterer. In spite of that, as i patiently listened, he talked about how he dreams someday of having a sailboat and living aboard, though he had NEVER EVER been on a boat. I offered to let him see our boat and he asks, "is that permitted?". He rents one of the little apartments there and was under the impression he was not allowed on the docks. Will spread the word to the little sailing community there to embrace him and stoke that dream. He viewed us (boat owners) as an unapproachable group so far removed from his daily grind that if it had not been us having to chat so we could put the kayaks away, he still would believe he was "not allowed".

Those of you all who have been down to our little marina know for a fact it is far from that perception. It does speak to a widening gap between younger folks and their hopes and desires and what we felt to be doable goals and dreams decades ago. I saw him as I was leaving today and instead of walking looking down he looked over smiled and waved. One small step for a man......one giant leap for his kind.
S/V  'Mas'  87' CP16/2

Offline jdklaser

• Rigger
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »
The future of sailing is in community boating.  Yacht clubs exclude and press the party atmosphere.  Access for all.