In case you were wondering what it would look like if you removed every bit of interior trim for refinishing in your basement. After some experimentation, I've settled on Epifanes Rubbed Effect Woodfinish. I wanted the satin look of an oiled finish, but the protection of varnish. Sick and tired of fighting mildew and mold here in humid coastal NC!
- Thorough acetone wipe to remove grime and old oil finish
- Sand with 120 grit
- Sealer coat of Epifanes thinned 50% (4 oz varnish to 2 oz thinner etc.). Both sides.
- 2nd coat Epifanes thinned 25% (4 oz varnish to 1 oz thinner). Face side only.
- 3rd coat Epifanes full strength or thinned 10% if needed.
- 4th coat Epifanes full strength
No sanding between coats as long as you recoat within 72 hours. Hurray! The varnish is expensive, but less so if you don't buy from Worst Marine at $65/qt. Defender or Amazon sell it for $48. Worth every cent even if only because of the no-sanding feature.